Noise complaint in Law building

A place where serious discussion of Society business (like what games to buy, how to run things etc) happens. All input welcome and encouraged.

Noise complaint in Law building

Postby paulclarke339 » 09 Oct 2013, 22:50

I thought I should bring to the attention of the committee that we got a noise complaint from an office worker in the Law building today (Wed 9 Oct 2013)

If GameSoc is chronically noisy then I expect that we will not be allowed to use those rooms in future.
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

The track tiles formerly known as Paul

Re: Noise complaint in Law building

Postby Gereon » 10 Oct 2013, 00:03

:-(

We better do something about this then, but guess that some more details might be helpful.
Could you give more details while this is still crash on your mind?
Who of us, what did they say, did you think GameSoc was loud, doors left open by accident, they from an office wall to wall with our room or a bit further away?
Mo:X/Tu:L5R/We:X/Th:Μυθος/Fr:Scion/Sa:_/Su:X, _

Το πρόβλημα με τα εισαγωγικά στο διαδίκτυο είναι ότι ποτέ δεν μπορεί να ξέρει αν είναι γνήσια. – Plato
Gereon
Deposed Leader
Deposed Leader

Gereon

Postby TikaKino » 10 Oct 2013, 16:33

The chap who came in to ask us to quiet down was very reasonable, but didn't identify himself or his exact location other than "there are offices all around here". Door was closed, windows were open. I saw him chatting to another staff member on the landing below as I left fairly soon afterwards.

I think Paul will agree with me that the vast majority of the noise came from one particular table, I think all of whom are regularly Magic players but were playing Resistance. It was loud enough I could hardly hear the Battlestar Galactica players whose table I was sat at, so his complaint was almost certainly justified. Little more practice in self-moderating volume level is the only true solution I can think of; having a committee member there to be a bit more authoritative in keeping the noise down might have helped a little.
The wizard's staff: if it survives being whacked with six feet of solid oak... then it's probably immune to magic, too.
TikaKino
Deposed Leader
Deposed Leader

Mikael Suominen

Postby paulclarke339 » 10 Oct 2013, 20:28

TikaKino wrote:The chap who came in to ask us to quiet down was very reasonable, but didn't identify himself or his exact location other than "there are offices all around here". Door was closed, windows were open. I saw him chatting to another staff member on the landing below as I left fairly soon afterwards.

I think Paul will agree with me that the vast majority of the noise came from one particular table, I think all of whom are regularly Magic players but were playing Resistance. It was loud enough I could hardly hear the Battlestar Galactica players whose table I was sat at, so his complaint was almost certainly justified. Little more practice in self-moderating volume level is the only true solution I can think of; having a committee member there to be a bit more authoritative in keeping the noise down might have helped a little.

+1
though I think it was a mix of new players/magic folks, though it's probably polite not to single people out on a public forum. At times I couldn't hear the players 1 or 2 seats away, without us also raising our voices, so in turn other folks get even louder. It's a small room which amplifies sound more than, say, the cafe (which also had noise absorbing walls).

If everyone could keep it to a low murmur with just the occasional scream of excitement that would be great.
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

The track tiles formerly known as Paul

Return to Society Business