Cafe Issues

A place where serious discussion of Society business (like what games to buy, how to run things etc) happens. All input welcome and encouraged.

Cafe Issues

Postby paulclarke339 » 21 Apr 2013, 15:23

Seeing as no-one else has, I thought I'd create a thread concerning the recent problems with cafe usage, and possible solutions. Perhaps there is already a discussion that only the committee can see, but I figured crowdsourcing the problem might yield additional benefits.

My understanding of the situation is that we now can't use the cafe until 3pm (Was this Weds, Sats or both, I can't remember?), and only til 6, and it is now more likely that we are to be kicked out at 6pm sharp.
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

The track tiles formerly known as Paul

Re: Cafe Issues

Postby Khallos » 21 Apr 2013, 15:36

I can confirm that the committee are doing something about this, as Hilton has been liasing with various people. They've drafted an Email/letter to the SUSU Cafe staff, and they might have sent it off at the time of writing.

The Manager said that they don't want us in the cafe playing games until 3, which is when we officially get control of it. We technically loose control of it at 6, but seeing as the cafe closes before then the people who throw us out would have to be SUSU security themselves, so i'm not sure how that would work. I think we'd be ok, but probably best not to push it.

To be honest guys, the reason they got so angry is because we basically seemed to ignore them. When the manager comes out and asks you to stop playing games in the cafe, THREE TIMES, and people's response is to shrug and put down the next card, that's kind of... well, I can see why they got as angry as they did. There's two massive common areas outside the cafe with tables and chairs that we really should have relocated to as soon as we were asked, so, there were muck ups all round, really.
Some people call Thrudd monster, some call him saint. His talent feeds his darker side, but nobody will complain...
Khallos
Games consume my existence

Alex Harper

Postby Eevee » 21 Apr 2013, 16:31

I think it was more of a lack of communication. I didn't hear her say anything until she asked us to leave, nor did anyone come over and say that this had happened. The letter has been drafted, but Roanne still needs to look it over.
Bees!
Eevee
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Evangeline May Downer

Postby Sneakabout » 21 Apr 2013, 17:14

From my perspective, admittedly one of a Saturday person, there have been some issues building for a fair while. I only saw us after we were outside, don't know what happened there. We've had frequent problems with cafe bookings, mostly I suspect because it never used to get booked at all!

In terms of solutions then from my perspective we need a space which is:

1) Large
2) Has chairs and tables
3) Available at right times.

With the additional "very usefuls" of:
1) Close to game storage
2) Sells/permits food
3) On main campus

I suspect the best solution is, in fact, still the cafe. If the booking slots were more even, say 9-1/2 then the remaining time until 6/7, we would be OK. In addition it is not outside the wit of man (or the SUSU officers) to change things. That said, had a look through the systems and identified following alternatives, leave pros and cons to others...

1) The cafe, but in the morning instead until 3.
2) The Bridge, having to leave *on time* but bookable from earlier.
3) The cube (couldn't find this on the booking form though)

And in the wider union it suggests:
4) Nightingale Building (it says 1003 and 1007 have the right features)
5) Building 45 2039/2040 (the blocky one near to the co-op)

Other places like the NOC and Winchester are... less likely. Hope this helps people consider alternatives to help negotiation.
Edward Stutters likes cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta bake. He absolutely detests moths.
He is entranced by riddles and puzzles and loves to debate issues and ideas. He was irritated by the sun recently.
Sneakabout
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Edward Stutters

Postby Khallos » 21 Apr 2013, 18:12

Personally, i think it might be a good idea to go back to the Education Building (IE, the one we use over the Easter/summer breaks). It's nice, and it's much less used than the cafe and has more rooms, so we could feasibly book a couple of rooms for the whole day. I know there was a bit of a problem with people getting in and out if they didn't have a Uni card on them, but the times we've been in there this year I've had no problem with that. Plus it's just across the road from the concourse (and therefore the Shop and Cafe), for the hungry amongst us.
Some people call Thrudd monster, some call him saint. His talent feeds his darker side, but nobody will complain...
Khallos

Alex Harper

Postby shad0wstalker » 21 Apr 2013, 19:57

I should probably mention that the committee members who were not present have been informed of the event and that an EGM is to be held next Saturday to discuss the issue.
Imperial Commandments: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=117109.msg1692475#msg1692475

Alright, who wants to roll a will save against using burning hands on women and children? What could possibly go wrong?
shad0wstalker
Deposed Leader
Deposed Leader

Alex Hilton

Postby Gereon » 22 Apr 2013, 13:35

In case Cafe mind us playing there on Wednesday, I have looked for the biggest rooms with "Facilities: RSC- SEATS MOVEABLE" on the university booking system available for Wednesday 2-6 and booked one of the rooms in the Math building (54 / 8033 – 8B) just in case. (It's one of the bigger small lecture rooms with moveable tables; our usual rooms in the education building seemed unavailable.) I hope this was unnecessary and the Cafe don't mind us too much on Wednesday afternoon, but I wanted to be sure that we can go somewhere and leave them alone and still play games in case they grudge a bear. (Don't forget: Riding Angry Bears Isn't Exactly Safe!)
Mo:X/Tu:L5R/We:X/Th:Μυθος/Fr:Scion/Sa:_/Su:X, _

Το πρόβλημα με τα εισαγωγικά στο διαδίκτυο είναι ότι ποτέ δεν μπορεί να ξέρει αν είναι γνήσια. – Plato
Gereon
Deposed Leader
Deposed Leader

Gereon

Postby paulclarke339 » 22 Apr 2013, 20:40

Gereon wrote:In case Cafe mind us playing there on Wednesday, I have looked for the biggest rooms with "Facilities: RSC- SEATS MOVEABLE" on the university booking system available for Wednesday 2-6 and booked one of the rooms in the Math building (54 / 8033 – 8B) just in case. (It's one of the bigger small lecture rooms with moveable tables; our usual rooms in the education building seemed unavailable.) I hope this was unnecessary and the Cafe don't mind us too much on Wednesday afternoon, but I wanted to be sure that we can go somewhere and leave them alone and still play games in case they grudge a bear. (Don't forget: Riding Angry Bears Isn't Exactly Safe!)

Thumbsup for getting stuff sorted.
Is that the one we were in on the day of the 2012 bunfight, up in the tower?
If so it was overflowing then, and that was a quiet day.

So do we want to be in Mathematics 8B (54 / 8033) on Wednesday [see over there] or is there a better/nicer/other plan?

IMO almost anywhere is better than the cafe. The disadvantages of the cafe area:
* Has sticky tables that damage games
* Has little natural light
* Is cold
* Can be noisy
* Is increasingly disrupted by other groups or surprise early closures.
* Opposed to external food/drink
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

Postby paulclarke339 » 22 Apr 2013, 20:53

Khallos wrote: We technically loose control of it at 6, but seeing as the cafe closes before then the people who throw us out would have to be SUSU security themselves, so i'm not sure how that would work. I think we'd be ok, but probably best not to push it.

This happened last weekend (Sat 13 Apr). Someone (not security) came in at 5.45 to say the building was closing at 6. That might have been because of holidays though. I'm confident that if we'd ignored him then security would have come sooner or later :S
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

Postby Gereon » 23 Apr 2013, 01:30

paulclarke339 wrote:Is that the one we were in on the day of the 2012 bunfight, up in the tower?
If so it was overflowing then, and that was a quiet day.

It's one level higher and on the opposite side of the corridor. I think 8B is slightly bigger than 7C, but that's just my impression from having a short look at the lecture going on in there when I checked it out before booking it on Monday.

Admittedly I don't much appreciate the cafe either, but nonetheless it has some advantages. The first of the following is a very big point for it, because other options seem to be at least one of small, separated (i.e. when trying to get adjacent rooms), way off, or lecture theaters with inappropriate tabling.
  • It has a lot of space and tables
  • We have two cupboards very close to there
  • No closed doors during off hours that don't allow people without cards to enter
  • It's easy to find
  • It provides food
Mo:X/Tu:L5R/We:X/Th:Μυθος/Fr:Scion/Sa:_/Su:X, _

Το πρόβλημα με τα εισαγωγικά στο διαδίκτυο είναι ότι ποτέ δεν μπορεί να ξέρει αν είναι γνήσια. – Plato
Gereon
Deposed Leader
Deposed Leader

Gereon

Next

Return to Society Business