Cupboard: The Budgeting

A place where serious discussion of Society business (like what games to buy, how to run things etc) happens. All input welcome and encouraged.

Cupboard: The Budgeting

Postby Blank Fate » 18 Apr 2013, 19:56

The time has come for the good folks of GameSoc to suggest what games (or other items, within reason!) to acquire using the Soc's funding.

The only item that's been seriously discussed so far is a quantity of sleeves to preserve Dominion and 7 Wonders (the latter may be replaced entirely). Post your suggestions below!
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works...
Blank Fate
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Tom Loades

Re: Cupboard: The Budgeting

Postby maestro » 18 Apr 2013, 20:30

Warhammer scenery, and lots of it. Almost all of the stuff we currently have is falling apart, or hills (which you can only have so many of at once).

I'd also seriously consider the modular gaming board and expansion pieces. While expensive, I gather we actually have enough for them, we wargame enough (and could still use the grass mat for multiple games at once) and if we can't afford them at the moment then putting them to the Union in the budget request makes them more likely to give us money.
Keeper of the Keys to the Very Boring Shed, Grand Visier to the Great Rabbit of Fluff, Guardian of the Seven Spheres of Fish, Master of Pocket Lint, Mister Kipling's Dubious Apprentice, Sous Chef of Horrible Concoctions and Respected Authority on Pizazz.
maestro
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Rear Admiral Iain Mitchell

Postby phobiandarkmoon » 18 Apr 2013, 21:21

I quite enjoy Tsuro as a filler game, so it might be good for the society to pick up a copy for wednesday/general use.
Everybody has a secret world inside of them. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.
phobiandarkmoon
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Nicholas Hayes

Postby Blank Fate » 18 Apr 2013, 21:56

The great game of Dragons Headbutting seems like a solid pick :P
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works...
Blank Fate
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Tom Loades

Postby Eevee » 18 Apr 2013, 22:51

I think looking at more filler games in general might be a good idea, as even thought 7 Wonders is quite quick, setup isn't that fast. Also, not sure if this has been brought up before but Carcassone may be a nice addition.
Bees!
Eevee
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Evangeline May Downer

Postby maestro » 20 Apr 2013, 15:45

I'd agree with Carcassonne, and all the little expansions are a great way to change things up if anyone gets bored with it.
Keeper of the Keys to the Very Boring Shed, Grand Visier to the Great Rabbit of Fluff, Guardian of the Seven Spheres of Fish, Master of Pocket Lint, Mister Kipling's Dubious Apprentice, Sous Chef of Horrible Concoctions and Respected Authority on Pizazz.
maestro
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Postby Vinx15c » 20 Apr 2013, 17:28

maestro wrote:Warhammer scenery, and lots of it. Almost all of the stuff we currently have is falling apart, or hills (which you can only have so many of at once).

What happened to all the stuff we got a couple of years ago? Is that already falling apart?
At least your parents aren't trying to replace your eyes with buttons
Vinx15c
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Chris Mintram (Minty)

Postby maestro » 20 Apr 2013, 21:52

We don't have that much in the cupboards for Fantasy, certainly. I've seen more for 40k, but for a lot of games you need a certain density of terraing and we tend not to be able to field that, especially when we have two games going on at once.

But, for example, just one set of the magical fulcrums for Storm of Magic would be awesome and could be used outside of the expansion as awesome little set pieces.

I won't be able to get it done until the 1st May, but I'll quite happily take an inventory of all the scenery we have and what it's appropriate for and make a shopping list of what would really enhance our games. For now though, the modular boards are a definite want.
maestro
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Postby paulclarke339 » 21 Apr 2013, 14:59

Blank Fate wrote:The time has come for the good folks of GameSoc to suggest what games (or other items, within reason!) to acquire using the Soc's funding.

The only item that's been seriously discussed so far is a quantity of sleeves to preserve Dominion and 7 Wonders (the latter may be replaced entirely). Post your suggestions below!

RFTG and Ticket to Ride could also do with new sleeves.

The problem is that the cafe tables are sprayed with something that leaves a residue (or have food goo on them). Run your fingers on the tabletop and you'll see what I mean.

Also some people eat greasy food with their fingers, which they then put on the cards.

I carry a piece of felt with me (cost: £2.99 from Fabricland Southampton) which weighs next to nothing, and only play with clean players.

Investing £20 or so in felt would prolong the lifespans of games, especially card games.
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

The track tiles formerly known as Paul

Postby paulclarke339 » 21 Apr 2013, 15:05

Vinx15c wrote:
maestro wrote:Warhammer scenery, and lots of it. Almost all of the stuff we currently have is falling apart, or hills (which you can only have so many of at once).

What happened to all the stuff we got a couple of years ago? Is that already falling apart?

I donated a bunch of stuff - is that what you're talking about?
A few modular hills
lots of Hedges and a few stone walls
2 bunker types buildings, 3 warehouse type buildings and a few other pieces like the egg-meteor thing.
I've got a load more hills that I'd be happy to donate (you've got about 33% of it so far), but I haven't brought them in because I figured there's nowhere to store them(?)
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

The track tiles formerly known as Paul

Next

Return to Society Business