Cupboard: The Budgeting

A place where serious discussion of Society business (like what games to buy, how to run things etc) happens. All input welcome and encouraged.

Re: Cupboard: The Budgeting

Postby paulclarke339 » 21 Apr 2013, 15:17

Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

The track tiles formerly known as Paul

Postby Icewing » 22 Apr 2013, 11:03

Someone at Letting off Steam (steampunk LARP by herofest) showed me these... don't know if this will be of interest for the wargamers.
Tabletop Towns
Keeper of mystical healing powers since 2008
I killed Alvarakk before it was cool.
Rocks die, everybody falls.
Icewing
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Gar

Postby Vinx15c » 22 Apr 2013, 11:48

paulclarke339 wrote:
Vinx15c wrote:
maestro wrote:Warhammer scenery, and lots of it. Almost all of the stuff we currently have is falling apart, or hills (which you can only have so many of at once).

What happened to all the stuff we got a couple of years ago? Is that already falling apart?

I donated a bunch of stuff - is that what you're talking about?
A few modular hills
lots of Hedges and a few stone walls
2 bunker types buildings, 3 warehouse type buildings and a few other pieces like the egg-meteor thing.
I've got a load more hills that I'd be happy to donate (you've got about 33% of it so far), but I haven't brought them in because I figured there's nowhere to store them(?)

No. We received £100 or so worth of Wargaming Scenery from the Capital Items fund in 2010/11 I believe.
At least your parents aren't trying to replace your eyes with buttons
Vinx15c
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Chris Mintram (Minty)

Postby maestro » 22 Apr 2013, 18:32

Vinx15c wrote:No. We received £100 or so worth of Wargaming Scenery from the Capital Items fund in 2010/11 I believe.

£100 doesn't go as far as a sensible person would think, due to scenery being overpriced as all balls. I certainly remember recent games being a little on the sparse side, but as I said, I'll run a full inventory next week. Maybe even this Friday if enough people are getting twisted up over this.
Keeper of the Keys to the Very Boring Shed, Grand Visier to the Great Rabbit of Fluff, Guardian of the Seven Spheres of Fish, Master of Pocket Lint, Mister Kipling's Dubious Apprentice, Sous Chef of Horrible Concoctions and Respected Authority on Pizazz.
maestro
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Rear Admiral Iain Mitchell

Postby paulclarke339 » 22 Apr 2013, 20:14

maestro wrote:£100 doesn't go as far as a sensible person would think, due to scenery being overpriced as all balls.

The GW scenery is poor value for money, IMO. When I was a lad we made our own scenery, in the snow, going uphill, both ways.

IIRC the only scenery I bought from GW were:
* the trees (though some came from a model railway store), because trees are very difficult to scratch-build.
* 6ft by 4ft battle mat - it was a bit pricey, but there was no clear alternative. If I were to start miniatures gaming tomorrow I expect I'd buy some kind of cloth from Fabricland (if I were spending my own money).
* plastic ruins from 40K 4.ed. because they were not too expensive.
* the barrels/ammo crates, tank traps - they were relatively inexpensive and difficult to otherwise replicate.
* flock for the terrain (though I later found out I'd have been significantly better off buying it from a model railway store, and this was before online retail had really taken off, late 90s).

Many of the games/White Dwarf issues came with card buildings, Necromunda was especially good. I enjoyed making scenery more than painting miniatures, so we'd often have beautiful landscapes with semi-painted armies.
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

The track tiles formerly known as Paul

Previous

Return to Society Business