Buying Card Sleeves

A place where serious discussion of Society business (like what games to buy, how to run things etc) happens. All input welcome and encouraged.

Buying Card Sleeves

Postby Gereon » 06 Dec 2012, 17:59

There are a few GameSoc games that could do with card sleeves at all (like 7 Wonders) or could do with some new card sleeves because the old ones break open (Dominion).

I have no experience in getting card sleeves, so if people can give me good tips as to where to buy to or what to pay attention to, I can try to do it myself. If budgeting the purchase would be a problem otherwise, I am willing to donate to not make it one.

Which of our games need more sleeves? I am aware of:
  • Dominion (a few, plus a few spare ones because the current sleeves will keep breaking)
  • 7 Wonders (However many cards that one has)
(I am aware that card sizes differ. boardgameextras has a lookup for games for the sleeves they sell.)
Mo:X/Tu:L5R/We:X/Th:Μυθος/Fr:Scion/Sa:_/Su:X, _

Το πρόβλημα με τα εισαγωγικά στο διαδίκτυο είναι ότι ποτέ δεν μπορεί να ξέρει αν είναι γνήσια. – Plato
Gereon
Deposed Leader
Deposed Leader

Gereon

Re: Buying Card Sleeves

Postby Magnus Man » 06 Dec 2012, 20:19

Boardgameextras is the best place to get card sleeves in the UK.

The standard Mayday sleeves are the normal ones we use and are pretty good. Like these -> http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/item.p ... MD7g4PZZ8E
Magnus Man
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Magnus White

Postby paulclarke339 » 08 Dec 2012, 12:26

Gereon wrote:There are a few GameSoc games that could do with card sleeves at all (like 7 Wonders) or could do with some new card sleeves because the old ones break open (Dominion).

I have no experience in getting card sleeves, so if people can give me good tips as to where to buy to or what to pay attention to, I can try to do it myself. If budgeting the purchase would be a problem otherwise, I am willing to donate to not make it one.

I try to avoid Mayday products and recommend others do likewise. I admit I did recently buy some of their sleeves, but I felt dirty doing so. I needed them to match sleeves I already had.

Buying in bulk on the internet is significantly cheaper than buying in the forbidden planet.

I normally buy the cheapo ones and they've been fine. I've recently replaced my ones for my BSG base game, but that's after 3.5 years and a LOT of play - circa 250 hours. Having said that, GameSoc will destroy games in a fraction of that time. I bought some FabricLand felt for £2.99 several years ago, and I estimate that it has paid for itself many times over in terms of avoiding mouldy cards etc.

Which of our games need more sleeves? I am aware of:
  • Dominion (a few, plus a few spare ones because the current sleeves will keep breaking)
  • 7 Wonders (However many cards that one has)
(I am aware that card sizes differ. boardgameextras has a lookup for games for the sleeves they sell.)

RFTG and Ticket to Ride could do with new sleeves. They've deteriorated to the point where replacing the whole lot is justified IMO.
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

The track tiles formerly known as Paul

Postby paulclarke339 » 08 Dec 2012, 12:30

Gereon wrote:I have no experience in getting card sleeves, so if people can give me good tips as to where to buy to or what to pay attention to, I can try to do it myself.

I forgot to mention, make sure they fit the cards before buying. I've made that mistake before. :? A google search will tell you sizes.
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

Postby Gereon » 08 Dec 2012, 20:16

paulclarke339 wrote:I try to avoid Mayday products and recommend others do likewise. I admit I did recently buy some of their sleeves, but I felt dirty doing so. I needed them to match sleeves I already had.

Buying in bulk on the internet is significantly cheaper than buying in the forbidden planet.

What's the problem with them? Where and what do you buy instead?
Mo:X/Tu:L5R/We:X/Th:Μυθος/Fr:Scion/Sa:_/Su:X, _

Το πρόβλημα με τα εισαγωγικά στο διαδίκτυο είναι ότι ποτέ δεν μπορεί να ξέρει αν είναι γνήσια. – Plato
Gereon
Deposed Leader
Deposed Leader

Gereon

Postby paulclarke339 » 09 Dec 2012, 01:48

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/13942 ... onary-tale
There's plenty of reading there. In short the owner has a track record that could charitably be described as 'dodgy'. His company was rebranded at least once (everyone should be aware that a company changing their name should raise a red flag). Their most outrageous scam (that I'm aware of) was this: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/630824/ ... -of-the-st

Alternatives? Fantasy Flight sleeves, Ultra Pro, basically anything. Just do a search on Ebay or Google shopping.
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

Return to Society Business