Budget Suggestions 2011/12

A place where serious discussion of Society business (like what games to buy, how to run things etc) happens. All input welcome and encouraged.

Re: Budget Suggestions 2011/12

Postby paulclarke339 » 23 Oct 2011, 18:25

Magnus Man wrote:Definitely Dominion Intrigue please.

But most importantly can we replace the green straight 4 piece from Blokus please.

The publisher/manufacturer replace missing parts for free (I got a replacement 1-piece for my copy of blokus duo - it came without it).

Similarly I was recently browsing board game extras and they do spare parts for Settlers. The old copy is still 95%+ complete, right? It has a few missing houses (15p each) and some missing roads (10p each), Robber is 20p if that was missing. Replacement cards are £5, a little pricey, but IIRC the old cards were pretty manky.

So the old copy could be renovated to almost good as new for well under £10. Thoughts?
http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/index. ... 8&sub_cat=
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

The track tiles formerly known as Paul

Postby maestro » 23 Oct 2011, 21:06

With regards to the original post, I support the Dominion expansion and maybe the Paranoia book, but I don't the others are worthwhile purchases at all really, for reasons already outlined by everyone above. And yes, I do have Arkham Horror and I get requests to play it about once a year so a soc copy would be utterly redundant.

I've said this in person but will submit it in writing now: any expansion to Thunderstone that gives us the better box to work with will mean that it suddenly becomes a lot less of an ordeal to set up the game and it will be played a lot more. It'd certainly be cheaper than buying a brand new game and give pretty much the same effect.

Other than that, I utterly support new filler games, we are woefully lacking and because of how often they're played people tend to get sick of the ones we have after a while. I know I don't want to play Chrononauts for quite some time.
Keeper of the Keys to the Very Boring Shed, Grand Visier to the Great Rabbit of Fluff, Guardian of the Seven Spheres of Fish, Master of Pocket Lint, Mister Kipling's Dubious Apprentice, Sous Chef of Horrible Concoctions and Respected Authority on Pizazz.
maestro
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Rear Admiral Iain Mitchell

Postby Khallos » 24 Oct 2011, 16:17

A new dominion expansion is heavily endorsed by me. Adding a little more diversity to the game is always good, and since intrigue is standalone it should help reduce demand for the game. Hopefully all the oldies who are sick of traditional dominion (and, maybe more importantly, have played it so much they've developed unbeatable megastrategies :P) can have some fun learning the new cards (and it should help level the playing field for the rest of us!)

Personally i'm quite keen on the expansion to chaos, as anything that changes up a game and stops it from becomming a repetetive slog after playing it for 3 weeks straight is good, but if we don't own the origional maybe it's not such a great idea to get the expansion. It all depends on how much the expansion costs. If it's negligible (£10 or so) it wouldnt be too risky of an investment. Especially since if whoever owns chaos takes it back, the society would be more than on board with buying a soc copy, judging from it's popularity.

I havent heard of any of the "filler" games mentioned, but anything by Cheapass Games gets my vote. Save Dr Lucky, Mad Cows and so on. Especially since, as suggested by the name, they tend to be very cheap (especially the origional releases)
Some people call Thrudd monster, some call him saint. His talent feeds his darker side, but nobody will complain...
Khallos
Games consume my existence
Games consume my existence

Alex Harper

Postby The Professional Stalker » 25 Oct 2011, 15:52

I'm really liking the look of Innovation; have been reading about it for the last few days and the more I read, the more I like the sound of it.
By the same designer as Glory to Rome (which is an excellently enjoyable game), it's a card-based game which is about building up a civilisation. You branch into various technologies to try and meet one of the many victory conditions before the other players can get there before you.
You know what, boardgamegeek can describe this way better than I can so here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/516972/ ... ilities-so

So there's a vote from me.

Also; I'm definitely going to be trying to get that piece replaced for Blokus; and I think it's about time that we had a look through our standard games to see if anything else besides the ones we know about has anything missing.
Practising Philologist, Inventor of Useless Languages and Discoverer of Miscellaneous Fluff.
The Professional Stalker
Deposed Leader
Deposed Leader

Kirsty March

Postby paulclarke339 » 25 Oct 2011, 16:51

boardgameextras Southampton Games afternoon will have demo copies ofEminent Domain available. I'm going to go and play it. Does anyone want to come with?

Details in this thread
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7720298#7720298
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

Postby Dainty » 26 Oct 2011, 10:32

I suppose I'd better weigh in, being all shiny gold dice and all. If a cheap copy of Evo could be found I think it'd be good in the cupboard - I only got a chance to play for the first time in the summer being as how Nick can't bring ALL his games every session, and it's pretty fun! Other than that I'll put in a vote for the Paranoia book, but that's pure selfishness in that I want to run a game and don't want to spend money... But hey, from what I hear it's a good RP system for nub GM's to start with, so who knows, maybe having the book would encourage more people to hire troubleshooters ;)
As a specimen yes I'm intimidating!
Dainty
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Abby Pardoe

Postby paulclarke339 » 09 Nov 2011, 18:15

Dominion Intrigue (if you're getting it) is currently on sale cheap: £22.07, free delivery

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rio-Grande-Game ... B002GJMOUC

More from Rio Grande, some deals:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&searc ... =salesrank
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

Previous

Return to Society Business