Budget Suggestions 2011/12

A place where serious discussion of Society business (like what games to buy, how to run things etc) happens. All input welcome and encouraged.

Budget Suggestions 2011/12

Postby Vinx15c » 23 Oct 2011, 08:14

The Union has new rules for spending budget this year. As such I need to submit a form saying exactly what new stuff we want by Friday.

Can people please post ideas and votes for already suggested games by Wednesday.

So far the most popular Ideas have been:

Chaos In the Old World

Chaos In the Old World: Scaven Expansion

Arkham Horror

Dominion: Intrigue (or other expansions)

Paranoia RPG book

Evo

(If you have already voted for one of these games at the society then please do not vote for it again)
Vinx15c
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Chris Mintram (Minty)

Re: Budget Suggestions 2011/12

Postby mister k » 23 Oct 2011, 08:20

Can I really, really propose in the strongest terms that we get some fillers, in the form of Buckets or For Sale, as we could do with more of those, rather than arkham horror, which I suspect will not get played all that much.
mister k
Games consume my existence
Games consume my existence

Kieran Martin

Postby The Professional Stalker » 23 Oct 2011, 09:47

Absolutely agreed with Kieran on this one.
Not to mention, we do have a copy of Arkham Horror in the society. I don't think it is ever going to be so in demand that we need another!

Fillers are always good; and we are always in need of a couple more of them.

I like the idea of Dominion: Intrigue. Dominion is a pretty popular game in the soc; and since Intrigue can be played separately to the main game, it's both an expansion and a game on it's own, so there's a vote from me there.
Practising Philologist, Inventor of Useless Languages and Discoverer of Miscellaneous Fluff.
The Professional Stalker
Deposed Leader
Deposed Leader

Kirsty March

Postby Magnus Man » 23 Oct 2011, 09:52

Definitely Dominion Intrigue please.

But most importantly can we replace the green straight 4 piece from Blokus please.
Magnus Man
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Magnus White

Postby popeyedoyle » 23 Oct 2011, 10:46

I voted for Arkham Horror (someone else agreed thinking it was Batman related), but it turns out Iain has a copy that he's willing to arrange a game for, so I can retract my vote for that.

Looking at the choices above, it's pretty much a vote for games people are already playing at GamesSoc (Chaos, Dominion, Evo), which I suggest is due to a lack of knowledge about the other games on offer, rather than a lack of desire for new games (at least from a freshers perspective).

I've no idea what "Buckets" or "For Sale" are, but I do think we should be looking to increase the range and variety of games on offer. I'd really like to play Ghost Stories, Shogun and Space Alert, but I didn't have the names in my head when I was asked to vote. Do we have any time on Wednesday to try to get people to support our selections? Or will that be too close to the deadline to get all the prices ready for Friday?

That said, if we can only get a couple of things (or one thing) conservatism would be a good policy, because at least we know people will use the Dominion / Chaos expansions etc.
popeyedoyle
Hard-core Gamer
Hard-core Gamer

Tom Camfield

Postby Atirek » 23 Oct 2011, 10:54

A third vote for fillers. Buckets and For Sale are both really good choices, and would recommend both.
Of the games suggested at the top, dominion intrigue would certainly be beneficial as it would allow for a lot more different dominion combinations as well as two tables to play it at once. It is popular enough to justify this.
Chaos is difficult, I would highly recommend the expansion as it completely changes the game, but at the same time would not suggest buying the original Chaos. We do have a copy (Although lent) and its quite costly, but ultimately as we don't actually own the base game, its hard to buy the expansion.

A couple of other options (just throwing them out there) are Oregon (On the list of games the works are selling for £8) which has always been very popular when I have brought it, Trans Europa / America - likewise, and Settlers of Catan: Traders and Barbarians which introduces a whole load of ways to change the base game, in addition it also has cards which seem to even up the game, and in particular the numbers which are rolled. Two of the largest complaints against settlers is that goes on for too long, and that the dice rolls seem skewed or unfair, this would solve both those issues.

And Tom, I think these suggestions will ultimately be discussed by the committee who make the final choice, so keep throwing them out there, it won't necessarily be the case of whichever gets the most forum votes - gets bought, after all not everyone visits the forum, or may be around this week. You're right that we should increase the range, but its hard without having had even a single member play games to recommend them, its a little bit too much of a risk, when most games retail somewhere around the £20 to £40 mark.
Change is inevitable except from vending machines

Promoter of sidequests involving the collection and distribution of vegetables
Atirek
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Anthony March

Postby Magnus Man » 23 Oct 2011, 15:23

Vinx15c wrote:So far the most popular Ideas have been:
Evo

Just so you know, Evo is out of print so getting hold of a copy will be much more difficult and probably harder to explain to the union.
Magnus Man
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Magnus White

Postby mad mark » 23 Oct 2011, 16:20

another vote for filla games the is normaly a coppy or 2 of chaos in the old world about and adding more to domion while some of the exspations are good thay dont mean more games also be awaer arkam horrer can take much longer than a game soc seton to play so that me be a problem (but thows are just my thorts and as im nolonger about feel free to ignor them
HDM
Chief Whip

The is no such thing as overkill the are only degress of certanty
mad mark
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

mark pickering

Postby paulclarke339 » 23 Oct 2011, 17:30

popeyedoyle wrote:I voted for Arkham Horror (someone else agreed thinking it was Batman related), but it turns out Iain has a copy that he's willing to arrange a game for, so I can retract my vote for that.

Looking at the choices above, it's pretty much a vote for games people are already playing at GamesSoc (Chaos, Dominion, Evo), which I suggest is due to a lack of knowledge about the other games on offer, rather than a lack of desire for new games (at least from a freshers perspective).

I've no idea what "Buckets" or "For Sale" are, but I do think we should be looking to increase the range and variety of games on offer. I'd really like to play Ghost Stories, Shogun and Space Alert, but I didn't have the names in my head when I was asked to vote. Do we have any time on Wednesday to try to get people to support our selections? Or will that be too close to the deadline to get all the prices ready for Friday?

That said, if we can only get a couple of things (or one thing) conservatism would be a good policy, because at least we know people will use the Dominion / Chaos expansions etc.

I'd much rather the society bought new games, rather than duplicate copies of things we already have access to. The downside is of course that you are buying a mystery game, however with the amount of reviews, ratings, videos, and other information etc. available online, it is ludicrously easy to research ones way towards the most interesting games. It's not as if we're still in the pre-internet dark ages where the main source of information is those little pamphlets from the publisher which read like advertisements, included in game boxes.

My wishlist is here: http://boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/paulclarke339 , sorted by priority (see the status column). Ignore American rails as it is only available directly from the designer (so you won't be able to achieve 3 price quotes).

This is unfortunate timing, with this being the Essen Spiel weekend, so we'll just miss all the new releases. I'm not sure if German Railways will be in stores quickly enough to provide quotes, http://www.boardgameprices.com seems to be overloaded.

Paris connection in particular looks like an ideal game for Gamesoc. It's an interactive, 30 minute, network building and stock holding game with a deduction element (and no money), and as a bonus handles up to 6 players, released earlier this year. See review http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/697544/ ... -of-choice

Dominion Intrigue sounds like a solid choice, as it would allow two simultaneous games. I'm getting burned out on Dominion, but I guess there's lots of new people who aren't.

I don't think it's sensible to buy an expansion for a game the society doesn't own the base game for. Chaos is on loan, which I assume is not going to be a permanent situation.

To further complicate matters I've got bored with pretty much all my fillers, and I'm willing to sell them to the society (or individuals). I have over a dozen, including multiple copies of some.
Last edited by paulclarke339 on 23 Oct 2011, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for nothing
paulclarke339
Herr des Boardgames
Herr des Boardgames

The track tiles formerly known as Paul

Postby Atirek » 23 Oct 2011, 18:11

To further complicate matters I've got bored with pretty much all my fillers, and I'm willing to sell them to the society (or individuals). I have over a dozen, including multiple copies of some.

Obviously these cannot be purchased via the budget, as has been explained before. (they can only be gifted) However, I am sure if you post them up in the trade, along with the prices you want for them, you will have plenty of takers, myself possibly included!
Change is inevitable except from vending machines

Promoter of sidequests involving the collection and distribution of vegetables
Atirek
Committee of Yore
Committee of Yore

Anthony March

Next

Return to Society Business